Thursday, September 13, 2012

Home! Sweet Home!

Some people have asked me why I haven't blogged sooner and the answer is that my internet hasn't been operational.  In fact, many things in my apartment have been less then operational for these first two weeks.  But let's not get ahead of the story... 

The first thing I need to talk about is the team.  I am one of four American teachers assigned to teach in Langfang, China, under the organization known as IECS (International English and Cultural Studies).  We're here in China to teach English.  It's a great organization and I'd recommend you check out the website if you want to know more: internationalecs.org

The other members of my team are Jaime, Luke, and Luke's wife Shannon.  You’ll hear more about them later.

The team arrived in Beijing almost two weeks ago after an exhausting fourteen hour flight from the US.  We traveled from the Beijing airport by van to the city of Langfang and the driver dropped us off at our apartment complex.  Each of us then proceeded to choose for ourselves an apartment out of the available three.  Little did I know at the time but I was picking the unlucky one.

It all started late on the first night when I discovered that the toilet was broken.  The overflow pipe had snapped apart in the tank and water was continually being pumped down the drain without ceasing.  I quickly looked for the shutoff valve and I found that there was only one.  The dilemma was that this single solitary shutoff valve would shut off the water to the whole apartment.  Still, I can live with that.  It just meant the water to the apartment would have to be turned off and on each time I wanted to use the sink or shower.  However, another problem soon emerged the following morning.  The water stopped flowing altogether regardless of whether the valve was on or off.  This was not good.  It turned out that my water meter had run out and I was now without water on a Saturday.  The accounting department is open on weekends so there was no way to get the water back on until Monday.  This was a rather nasty predicament.  Thankfully, the water card that came with the apartment just happened to have a meager 1.4 units of water left (1.4 square meters) on the card that hadn't been registered on the meter.  I was able to use the card to get just enough water to get me through the weekend.

Bearing that, I also found that my internet didn’t work, there was a two year collection of dust on everything, my refrigerator was covered in black mold, my electricity was running low, I had no dishes, my door lock was sticking, and my washing machine leaked.  Talk about getting the lemon out of the bunch!  But I honestly can’t complain.  Each of these items was easily fixable and within a matter of two weeks I had the place clean and functional.  Some people might see the task as daunting but I saw it as a challenge.  As the old adage goes, “When life hands you lemon, you make lemonade.”  I saw this as an opportunity to put my handyman skills to the test and to really make the place my own.  In a way, I’m proud that things weren’t working because it meant I got to fix it myself.  Now a little bit of me is a part of this place.  After all, this is my home away from home for the next nine months. 

"Count the garden by the flowers, never by the leaves that fall. Count your life with smiles and not the tears that roll." –Author Unknown 


"Home! Sweet Home!"

3 comments:

  1. Love your wonderful positive outlook. Miss you in America! Love,Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. That's Jaime's bike. My bike is just inside the door.

      Delete