Sunday, September 23, 2012

First Day of Class!


Welcome to Langfang Teachers College!

Today I began teaching my first English class on the Langfang campus.  The regular semester started three weeks ago but the freshmen semester did not start until today.  I’ve been given four freshmen classes this semester.  Two classes are on the Langfang campus and the other two classes are on the campus in Guan.  Normally each foreign teacher at Langfang Teachers College is given five classes but I’ve had my fifth class removed due to the commute to Guan.  It’s about an hour long bus ride into the country so the consideration is appreciated.
Today I had two back-to-back afternoon freshmen classes.  Each class had about thirty-two students each and each student was brand new to this exotic college experience.  Most of the students had never seen a real live American before so the culture shock was a little overwhelming for them when they say me presiding this afternoon’s learning experience.  It took a bit for me to get used to them too!  Within five minutes of starting class they were wiping out camera phones galore and snapping away.  I imagined my experience is similar in kind to that of a dancing monkey at a zoo.  Was it me or was I the only one who didn’t care about getting a picture with any of my college professors? 
But the students are great.  The young people of Langfang just have an incredible amount of respect for their teachers.  They’re diligent with their studies and they are eager to give me their attention when I am talking.  However, they don’t believe in paying any attention to each other.  It’s odd how they will talk freely amongst themselves while another student is giving a presentation.  That’s why my style of English education also comes with some old fashioned training in English etiquette. 
One of the things I told my class is that I not only wanted to help them learn English but I wanted to help them learn how to function in an English speaking society.  There are many different social faux pas and cultural differences between America and China.  My hope is to help the class learn how to avoid embarrassing themselves if ever they go to America and in turn they have agreed to help me learn the social rules of China.  It’s a good copasetic relationship.  However, it does mean that one of my first rules of English etiquette is to not talk when others are talking!
The first part of the class was simply helping the entire class pick out English names.  English names are like a badge of honor in China and every English student wants one.  I was warned beforehand that this would be the case so I came prepared.  The students picked out their own name from a long list and I made sure there were no repeats.  However, it’s interesting to note how many names in the English language share a common meaning.
The second part of the class was the interview.  Here I had all of the students get into pairs and practice getting to know each other in English.  They had to memorize each other’s brand new English name and five facts about their partner.  Then the pairs had to stand at the front of the classroom and give a presentation about each other.  I was very proud of how well my students preformed.  I’ll have public speakers of the lot of them!
So I’m on the other side of the desk now.  It feels a little weird but in a good way.  There is no other place in this world where I feel more at home and more natural then behind a teaching desk.  There is just something about being given the liberty to mold young minds in a positive fashion that gives me a surge of energy.  To see my students succeed suddenly becomes my highest goal when I step into that classroom.  It’s a daunting challenge and a high honor.  In many ways I feel unfit for the task at hand.  But, I’m determined to overcome any failings and give my students the best education I can offer.  The students also gave me a nice vote of confidence in this regards.  Several of the students said to me this afternoon, “I think you are a good teacher.”  Words like these make me feel very good about doing my job. 


So this is what the other side of the desk feels like...


1 comment:

  1. Love it! Great description of the classroom, and your first day.

    ReplyDelete