Monday, September 2, 2013

Back to School

Building 8 at Hua Hang

The biggest problem with being a teacher is not the hardships of teaching but the mournful melancholy that sets in at the end of summer vacation.  Teachers must say goodbye to the last blissful carefree days of summer and hello to chalkboards and textbooks.  As a student I used to hate when teachers would give homework assignments on the first day of class.  Now, as a teacher, I realize how much those first-day homework assignments was some form of self-imposed masochistic torture on the teacher!  Yes, it might be a torture to write a 50-word essay about, “What I did this summer.”  But the teacher is the sad sack that’s got to read and grade all those essays.  I’ve got 240 students!  Do you know how many words that is for me to read?  That’s 12,000 words!  That’s way too much work for someone recovering from the lazy hazy days of summer!  “Excuse me, airplane polite, be a dear and turn this thing around for fun and sun.  Thanks.”

But cry not for me, America.  Whereas the slough of despond may be filled with thousands of pages of homework assignments, the smiling faces of friends and students is the hope that pulls me from the depths.  Good friends are the much needed aid that makes life so much better.  But, I’m getting ahead of myself.  Let me start my story from the beginning when I first arrive in China… again!

It all started on a 777 bound for Beijing. I did not feel too well on the flight and I had a headache most of the trip.  However, my newly acquired eye mask and neck pillow helped me get to sleep.  My plane arrived at 2:40 pm safely in Beijing where I was greeted by some nice sunny weather!  I was also happy to find that my luggage made it safely with me to China.  There is always a lingering dread in the back of my mind that my luggage might be lost in all the tussle and bustle of airplane travel.  However, they did not become lost and, in fact, my bag was among the first bags to hit the kiosk!  Soon afterwards I had a rather unexpected surprise... It was Gideon and Joshua!  They greeted me at the airport entrance. I had no idea they were coming.  I got a message on my cell phone merely moments before while I was getting my bags that I should, “look for a strange man in a farmer’s hat.”  I stepped out into the greeting area and there was Gideon wearing a traditional straw farmer’s hat!  It was hilarious. Both Gideon and Joshua helped me with my bags and then they helped me find the bus that goes directly from the airport to the South Beijing Railway Station.  Joshua was kind enough to pay for our tickets.  I didn't want to let him pay but he wouldn’t have it any other way.  We got to the railway station about 2 hours later and the trains were nearly full.  We had to pay a whopping 54.50 RMB for a first class ticket just to get back to Langfang.  Furthermore, the only tickets available were on the last train of the evening leaving at 8:20 pm.  So we had to wait.  We made for ourselves a nice little place to wait out our remaining time in restaurant in the lower portion of the train station.  We shared out stories from the summer and I shared with them the gifts I brought from America.  Then Gideon bought us dinner and we enjoyed a good meal together.  Once again, I didn’t want to let Gideon pay but he wouldn’t have it any other way.  (I’ve realized here in China that the only way to keep my friends from paying is to make sure I get to the cashier first!)  It was nice to be eating some Chinese food again! It was delicious.  I was too sleepy to continue talking after dinner so I took an hour and a half nap while the guys did some reading.  Then we hopped on our train and made our way back to Langfang.  Riding first class is really nice.  First class has personal pods each equipped with an automated mechanical seat that turns into a bed at the push of a button.  We were served drinks, a snack, and even given a pair of slippers.  It seems rather silly to get all that for only a 20 minute train ride. But it was the only way to get home.  We all were bemoaning the fact that we were spending 3 RMB per minute of travel! Ha ha.  In retrospect, we should have reserved our tickets online (“Live and learn,” as the saying goes).  When we got back to Langfang we could hardly find a cab willing to take us back to Hua Hang without charging an arm and a leg.  The cab drivers are like vultures hovering around the train station exit.  They see an American carrying luggage and they instantly see a way to make more money.  However, Gideon managed to get a three-wheel motorized cart for a good price.  It was quite the sight to see us trying to get two people and my luggage onto that tiny thing.  Gideon sat with his legs propped up in the air over my bags while I sat hugging my backpack.  It probably looked like a can of sardines going on vacation!  I wish I had a picture of the sight.  We finally got back to my apartment around 9:30 pm and it was time for bed.

Since that first day I’ve been busy preparing my classes, teaching, meeting with friends, and cleaning my apartment.  My new apartment is far better than my old apartment at the teacher’s college.  I have 10’ ceilings and rather large living quarters.  My kitchen is big enough to allow both a cook and eight people sitting at my dining table.  Everything was covered in a nice layer of dirt, but I expected that after sitting quite for two months.  Some friends came over in the week and we made short work of the first within no time.  We hung a few maps, cleaned the floors, and now this place is looking like a home.  I think I’m going to like it here.

Dinner with Friends


Dinner with friends.

The only way to travel.

Joshua has found the "comfort" button.

Gideon and Joshua are Relaxing

Di San Xian! So Good!

Fish!

Dinner with Mr. Yu

My Apartment

My Bathroom

My Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment