Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Visit to the Orphanage




The Adoption Wall
 
                This past weekend we were visited by IECS team HFU and by four of their students.  They came up to not only spend the weekend with us but to also visit Shepherd’s Field Children’s Orphanage (chinaorphans.org).  I once visited Shepherd’s Field back in May and it was an amazing visit.  Shepherd’s Field is a privately funded children’s orphanage that specialize in treating and taking care of children with special needs.  They house orphans with autism, children with brittle bone syndrome, and many others.  My good friend, Gideon, is an English teacher at the Shepherd’s Field school.  He teaches a mixed class of both kindergarten and later grades.  Gideon served as our guide for the day and he showed us around the orphanage.

Jaime, Kennedy, and Peter
For Gideon and I this weekend trip was almost like a walk down memory lane.  The last time I went to Shepherd’s Field in May was the first day I met Gideon.  He was still a student at LTU at the time and he was struggling with what he wanted to be once he graduated at the end of the term.  I returned home to America after that visit to Shepherd’s Field in May but Gideon stayed.  After graduation he became one of their teachers.


Gideon and I in Halloween Hats

Gideon and I in Halloween Hats
I got to meet several of Gideon’s students during our visit.  I met the rambunctious Aiden, the funny Kennedy, and many others.  We got to play the kiddos, to give them hugs, to play pretend with them, to read with them, and to sing with them.  The group split up as to not have too many teachers in one house at a time.  The girls went to go change dippers and to hold the babies.  I went to the house where the autistic children stay.  The autistic children are very loving.  They all wanted me to pick them up and hold them.  However, I only have so many hands.  After a while I pulled the pillows off of the couch and we had a pillow fight.  The kids loved it.  The house was full of laughter.  Even the nannies couldn’t help but laugh at the sight of us bouncing on the pillows.
Student Jane with one of the babies and Aiden
Jane Playing with the Kids

As the day came to a close we all gathered in the visitor center.  Most of our group rummaged through the gift shop of donated goods but I noticed that one of the students from HFU was standing alone.  I went over to speak with her.  She seemed to be fighting back the tears.  I asked her what the matter was.  She told me how she had woken up that morning with such a bad attitude.  That she had been so selfish in desiring pity for her menial troubles.  However, she told me that she ran into a young crippled teenage girl a wheelchair that had such a lovely positive outlook on life.  The student then expressed to me how she herself had no right to have such a rotten attitude when she has so much whereas this girl who has so little can be so happy.  She then said to me that she wanted to change.  She wanted to be more positive and appreciative like the girl in the wheelchair.
Kennedy

Me playing with Kennedy
 
I’m very glad to report that the orphanage is doing well.  They are a private, charitable, non-government funded facility and their support comes solely from the generosity of others.  They are building a new vocation learning center solely on the donation of a local Chinese company.  Most of the houses are built and sustained by the gifts of local Chinese people and from people in America.  On average the orphanage has 30 adoptions a year.  This year they’ve already met that number and there will be more.  Shepherd’s Field now only houses 60 children so they are actively seeking more children from other orphanages around the country with special needs.  It’s a good work that continues to go on.

Little Tara dressed as a fiary
Shepherd’s Field is a life changing experience.  The hardest thing in the world is leaving those children at the end of the day knowing that they will go to sleep for the night without a kiss goodnight from a loving parent.  There are no bedtime stories from Dad or bedtime songs from Mom.  As I held little Tara in my arms it simply broke my heart that such a lovely little girl could grow up without having a home. 
If you would like more information about Shepherd’s Field and about their adoption program then please check out their website: chinaoprhans.org
Also, you can visit their facebook page: www.facebook.com/isCHINAcallingYOU

No comments:

Post a Comment